East Dean and Friston
THINK HEDGEHOG !
Contact Sue email@example.com
Or call Cathy 01323 422029
Join the East Dean and Friston Hedgehog Street and help to -
Connect our gardens.
Provide a wild area for foraging, nesting and shelter.
Provide a safe place by avoiding chemicals and hazards.
Photo with kind permission of
No single garden is large enough for a hedgehog population
No single garden can offer everything they need
Think of your garden as part of a local network
Top tips for helping hedgehogs
1. Link your garden with your neighbours by making CD case size holes in fences and walls.
2. Check thoroughly before strimming and mowing as they sleep and nest in long grass.
3. Stop using chemicals such as slug pellets as these kill their food source and can poison them.
4. Deal with netting and litter as they can get trapped.
5. Make your pond safe. They can swim but need an exit so ponds with steep sides can create a problem.
6. Create a wild area where they can forage, sleep, nest and hibernate.
7. Be careful with bonfires and compost heaps as they may use them for nesting and hibernation.
8. Put out water in hot and dry weather and food if you can, dried cat biscuits and meal worms are good.
9. Hedgehogs are nocturnal. If you see a hedgehog out in the daytime, keep it warm in a box and call a rescue centre such as East Sussex WRAS. DO NOT WAIT.
You can also join the national campaign with its 40,000 plus army of volunteers by registering at